Sunday 15 December 2013

July, 2013

I was sick for a lot of July so I didn't get up to too much. 
My face in this first picture pretty much sums up my feelings about July. The bitch.


I tend to send pictures of myself to my sister so that she doesn't forget what I look like. I like them to be true reflections of my appearance, none of this photoshop or instagram filter business. Here I am, sista! I feel like I've really captured my 'ness' in this one, don't you think?





***





My students were part of an ironman contest! No, they're not muscle men, they're just ridiculously smart. The contest was academic (of course) and, although they didn't win anything, the judging panel created and awarded them with a 'yay for taking part and doing a pretty good job' creativity prize. The students were all chuffed to have their names printed on a giant banner outside the school, regardless of the fact that our school is out in the sticks and no one but themselves would see it!





***





 Maggie and I went to this cool restaurant in Jochiwon. Well, the interior was cool; everything was wooden and there were Japanese lanterns everywhere, as you can see. Unfortunately, our chicken was raw and we left hungry. Oh.





***




 Can we all take a moment to appreciate the accuracy and precision of this noodle splash?!





***





Circus kitty gives me mild heart attacks every morning!





***





I mentioned in my first post how Fiona sent me numerous threats, telling me to start this blog. This picture accompanied her messages telling me that I had 'until Sunday' to get started 'or else'. It still makes me laugh just looking at it. It's strange to think that she was back in Dublin when she sent me these nerve-racking threats and now she's here with me in Korea.




***




Happy birthday, Murrica! Fourth of July rolled around and Salgu had a party in her apartment with 'many delicious foods', drink and, of course, good banter! As the only non-American in attendance, I showed up with a bag full of leprechaun lollipops. I got far too distracted by the mountains of food and completely forgot about them, though. I ended up giving them to my two summer camp students, rationing them out at the end of each day!


 I found this table outside my apartment when I got home from Salgu's 4th of July party. Can you believe someone was throwing this treasure away?! Some people! That being said, once I dragged it up four floors to my apartment, I quickly realised that I didn't want a Hello Kitty table. Robber's remorse. 




***




Extreme sleeping.




***





Showcasing my ironing skills.





***





 Children's toys, party decorations and fireworks. Korean people worry about 'fan death' but playing with explosives at children's parties is fine, so fine.




***





They mean well...





***




I went to Seoul to get my coeliac and food allergy blood tests done and then went for the first of MANY last suppers with Maggie. Looking at what I had for breakfast makes me feel so ill now. I had French toast which came with strawberries, bananas, cream and jam. I could barely eat half of it as it was mahoosive and it also gave me ridiculous stomach pains as I ate it. I was doubled over in pain but I powered through! I got my results three weeks later and it's been bye-bye gluten and dairy ever since! I've since given up eating meat too and I've never felt so goooooood! I have so much energy and I don't feel like a big sack of crap after every meal anymore! The gluten and dairy had really caught up with me though and I was really out of sorts health-wise. I'm glad that I know now what I can eat as well what I want to eat.


 We all love a good veberage?





Ah, goodnight.




***




I got my hurr did! The red had really grown out of my hair and turned fairly orange! After a year of red hair I decided I'd go back to brown. I got my hair done in Seoul after having my tests done. I asked for brown and left with standard Asian black, which I expected! I didn't mind though. I liked it!




 "Be passionate in your life so that you can make professional touch".





 Do you like my alien pod? Unsettling.





 Coming to the realisation that my hair had in fact been dyed black. 






***






Salgu modelling her haute couture 'receipt avec chewing gum' bracelet that I made for her because that's what good friends do.





***





Written on the subway platform in Seoul.





***





 This just sort of happened. I can't really explain it but, considering we had previously decided that Salgu had roughly six months to live after being ill for some time, this sleeping position was quite fitting albeit disconcerting.





***





Yeah yeah summer holidays yeah! School's out! Not for me. Sad face.





***




Katie came to visit and made us these badass drinks. Soju, 7Up, mango juice and raspberry vinegar.





***





The scoreboard from a game we played at summer camp. The girls chose their animals and any time they got a wrong answer I got the points. They named me sloth. How kind.





***





A gift from one of my summer camp students' parents. Aaaaaaaaaall the ginseng! 





***





Cute-uh cake-uh.





***





Becky, Maggie and Salgu enjoying all their gluten and dairy goodness in my apartmtent before watching The Bucket List. At least they let me smell the cake, right?





***





Embracing the new lifestyle with soy milk in my cha.





***





This was hanging up in the hospital when I went back for my results. Can you see now why I chose that hospital?





***





The picture of organisation. Keeping my desk neat and tidy, as always.





***





Bit of an all right summer sky in Jochiwon. 





And there you go. See ya later, July, you vixen.
August post to follow before the end of 2013, I swurr! 
Fiona, send your threats this way.







1 comment:

  1. I love how much I feature on this! :) Looking forward to reading AUGUST!

    ReplyDelete