Friday 27 December 2013

August, 2013

The beginning of August marked the beginning of my two weeks off from work. Katie and I had planned to go to Seoul so she came up to stay with me on the Sunday and we set off the next day. We had heard that there was a bear park somewhere in Jochiwon and for quite a while had wanted to go and check it out. It was such a myth though; we didn't know where it was or how to get there. When I saw this mini van sitting in traffic on my way to school the previous Friday, I quickly took a picture, sent it to Katie and we both took it as a sign that we need to go hang with all the big bad bears. So, on Monday we went to the park before going to Seoul. It was hot hot hot and very humid. I died.






***





 I took this picture one day when I was walking home from the bus stop after work. I thought it was sweet and I like capturing moments like these, of people just going about their day, doing what they do. It was one of those moments when I wished I had my camera and not just my phone. Still, I like it for what it is.




***






My two summer camp students watching The Bucket List on our last day.





***





 I stopped off at the market on my way home from school so I could buy a knife to cut watermelon. I didn't have any room in my bag so I ended up just carrying it for the 15 minute walk home. It only occurred to me just before I arrived home that I was walking around yielding a pretty hefty knife. 
I didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose me.




***





 I discovered almond milk. Why doesn't everyone drink this? Seriously. Honrail. It was only in the shop just to tease me that one day though. We had a one-time fling and I haven't seen it since.





***





 Look at all that wonderfully cut watermelon!





***





Bear Tree Park was actually pretty sad. There were a load of bears in a tiny enclosure and they were all just fighting each other. I'm glad we went though or else I would have always wondered about it. There were lots of other animals in the park too and the gardens were really nice. It's just a shame about the heat and my consequential death.

Rude.





 Albino Rudolph.




 An unfortunately blurry photo of KT hard at work.





 Family snap.




Baba.





***




Katie and I arrived in Seoul at about 9pm on Monday. Nicole had just flown in from HongKong so the three of us went out for dinner and drinks. The following morning we went to Itaewon for breakfast and, while sitting in the restaurant, a bit of a cheeky old typhoon started brewing outside. After overstaying our welcome in the restaurant, with people looking for tables, we had to go and brave the storm. We stood under a canopy for a while before deciding to make a run for it and find somewhere we could get a drink. In the few seconds it took us to run across the road, we got soaked. We went into another restaurant where the workers kindly let us in just for tea. While sitting at the table, three women came over and started to pat me down with serviettes to dry me off. Day made.

Clearly delighted with myself after getting over the initial shock of having three women rub me down.






Once the rain stopped, we set off in search of the fine art gallery in Insadong. After walking around for a good hour trying to find it, we got there and it was closed. There was a tea room next to it though, another thing that was on our to-do list of the day, so we went inside and had some fancy tea while sitting at the world's shortest table (check the knees in the photograph).There's very little that a cupán tae can't fix though so sure look, 'twas grand.






***






Later on, after Nicole had left us, Katie and I stopped into a boutique in Hongdae. In the centre of the room, there were two cats absolutely running the place. Never mind the expensive clothes and accessories, just lash a few cats in there. Katie tried on some dresses while I befriended (they hated me) the cats.





***





 We went to an all you can eat buffet but because I'm allergic to everything, Katie had to try enough of the fun stuff for both of us. This was easily plate number four or five and there's a very clear mix of pleasure and pain going on in this picture. This was such a good night and, thinking back to it now nearly five months later, I can still remember how much fun we had and how much we laughed!





***





 We were having a look around Myeongdong and stopped to get some kimbap. The owners were so friendly and welcoming to us. There was an old man in charge of serving and he was so cute, making sure to keep everyone's water topped up and keep everything looking neat and tidy. I liked them so much that all the food I had to take out of my kimbap, I hid in a napkin and took with me.





***






 This picture is ridiculous. I look like such a pervert and Katie looks like a sassy granny. Yay to being photogenic.





***






 This is the apartment we stayed in in Seoul. It was so luxurious compared to what we're used to. Look at all that room for activities!





***





 Very excited by my ginger tea with actual bits of ginger in it.





***





 Out celebrating Katie's acceptance to Hogwarts.





***





   
A woman shielding herself from the hot sun in Seoul. Another 'wish I had my camera' moment. But sure look, that thing is heavy!





***





We met with Katie's friend, Michelle and her friend, Seoyeon for dinner. Afterwards, we met Michelle's cousin and her new dog, Louis! I was delighted to have a little ball of fur to pet after being deprived of such things since leaving home. He was running around like a mad man in the car, as you can see. We took him to the dog café so that he could hang with his dudes. Blue paws and spiderman outfits. An experience.
Standard.











***





 This photo was fairly compulsory now I think we can all agree.





Dublin bar in Gangnam. I actually took this photo to send to my brother but I never did. So here you go, bro.






Katie and I met up with Bri one of the days we were in Seoul. We were only supposed to meet for a few hours but we had so much fun we ended up spending the whole day together. We met her in Gangnam when she finished work and went for lunch together. We then went to a cafe to get out of the sun and the girls shared some Bingsu. Bingsu is a typical Korean dessert made with shaved ice and, in the case of this one, a load of ice cream and other poisonous things.






 I told them to brush on their best sassy faces for the photo. They did well.







We went full Korean and went to a photo booth. After we took our photos, we spent some time touching them up and making ourselves look presentable. Finished products below.






***





 Dinner and dranks. The girls had Sangria while I had some sort of lemonade as I was still on my month of detoxing. The doctor's orders of not consuming anything too 'stimulating' of course included alcohol. Designated subway route planner, me.





***






What lovely flowers.





***





Gluten free, they said.
Dairy free, they said.
Of course. Silly me. Why wouldn't it come with whipped cream?





***





Subway selfie.





***





This man has a bear on his tshirt and ate four bananas  on the train from Seoul to Jochiwon. Clearly he was made for me.



Sleeping on an arcade game in the café car.





***





Ashamed of myself for how stupidly I cut up this watermelon. 





***





These grapes are the reason i now understand why grape flavoured things taste the way they do. There are actually grapes that taste that way, guys! They're rank.





***





Veggie fridge! 





***





 Monday: bought blender.
Tuesday: broke blender.





***






Another excellent pair of socks. Well done to you, Korea.





***





This cheeky little bugger made himself nice and comfortable in my apartment. Unfortunately, there just wasn't  enough room for two of us (look at him, he's mahoosive!) so I sent him on his way to terrorize someone else. As I slid back the flimsy fly screen on my window to set him free and nearly sent it flying to the street below, it became very clear how he got in in the first place.





***





 Making some very serious ginger tea.








***






Salgu and Maggie went home for their summer holidays and brought me back some gluten free stuff. This is what Salgu brought me. Nice peoples!





***





Another one for my seester.





***





Enjoyed my leg there, mosquito, did you?





I went to the chemist looking for cream for the bite on my leg. Whether the cream is meant for babies or for treating bites from babies I can't be sure but, either way, it did the trick.





***





My body was so broken. "Complete food intolerance support". I was probably the only person under 80 taking these. Not anymore though! Hooray for being healthy again!





***





I'm on duh teevee like mah momma.





***





 Skyping Fiona on her first day in her new apartment in Daegu!





***





Is this not the best Home Plus ever?!





***





 I bought this for Fiona as part of a 'welcome to Korea' gift. Say yes to drugs, kids...??






And that's it for August. This post was quite fun to do, actually! August was a good month.
And look at me actually posting this before the new year and all, like I said! Who would have thought? September's post is soon to follow with pictures from my trip to Tokyo. I'm determined to get myself up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment